San Jose Santa Clara Milpitas Estate Planning Business Law Attorney Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where Do I File My Living Trust?

SHORT ANSWER - NOT AT THE COURT, JUST SOMEWHERE SAFE.  During your lifetime your trust just lives in a fireproof safe, or a safe deposit box, or somewhere safe where people will be able to find it, if they need to. After one, or both of you, die, then a copy of the trust will get sent to the county so that names can be changed on your house's title, and sometimes financial institutions and banks will also want to see it--just to make sure that 1) it exists and 2) the successor trustee is clearly identified in the document. So, keep it safe and let your family and successor trustees know how to find it.

Archived Posts


The lawyers at Sowards Law Firm assist clients with Estate Planning, Wills, Living Trusts, Probate, Estate Administration, Medi-Cal Planning, Business Law and LLC Preparation throughout California, including clients located in and around, Oakland, Palo Alto, Petaluma, Pleasanton, Point Reyes, Redwood City, Richmond, Salinas, San Carlos, San Francisco, San Jose, San Leandro, San Rafael, San Ramon, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Union City and Vallejo.

© 2014 Sowards Law Firm | Disclaimer
2542 S. Bascom Ave., 200, Campbell, CA 95008
| Phone: 408-371-6000

Estate Planning | Asset Protection | Special Needs Planning | Planning for Children | Business Succession Planning | Probate / Estate Administration | Guardianships | Elder Law - Medi-Cal Planning | Pet Trusts | Veterans Benefits | Business Law | Resources | About Us

Attorney Web Design by
Amicus Creative